The Oak Ridge Fox Hunt Club
was founded in 1887 in Lynchburg and transferred to the Oak Ridge
Estate in 1910. The group was a nationally recognized hunt in Nelson
County for three years, although more informal fox hunting occurred
throughout Thomas Fortune Ryan's ownership. Ryan himself was an
avid hunter. The Bedford Hunt was established as the institutional
successor after World War I. In 1993, Rita Mae Brown, Master of
Fox Hounds, re-instituted the Fox Hunt at Oak Ridge and there are
approximately 50 members in the club currently. The highest number
of people in the Field is 75.
The club is making trails and jumps, opening up more territory.
In addition, the club has done extensive renovations on their Club
House, formerly known as the Cottage.
Groups may book events on the extensive Oak Ridge Trail System.
Please call (434) 263 - 8676 for reservations.
The inaugural meet of the Oak Ridge Race Course was held in September of 2001. Oak Ridge hosted nine days of live pari-mutuel racing featuring standardbred horses. The one mile oval harness track, with the accompanying grass thoroughbred track and hillside steeplechase course was a long time restoration dream of the current owners who discovered the racing history of the Oak Ridge Estate.
Thomas Fortune Ryan built the original track at the same location in 1909. The track provided training for his collection or race and show horses. The most famous of his earlier horses was the Lexington, Kentucky thoroughbred "Decanter". Other Oak Ridge horses known to equine enthusiasts of the area and era included "Sea King", sire of a Kentucky Derby winner. The last record of exhibition racing at the track was in 1932.
Currently the track owners and Oak Ridge Racing Associates, Ltd are preparing an application for an Unlimited Pari-mutuel Racing License through the Virginia Racing Commission. For now the track is host to numerous public events and exhibition races such as the Steeplechase at Oak Ridge presented by Jubilee Family Center of Lynchburg, Virginia.